Monday, May 5, 2008

excess baggage.

i'm thinking more and more lately about the intersections of fatness and queerness, particularly now in my own day-to-day life, not just academically, and what that means for the spaces i'm comfortable in and those where i'm not. it's interesting how when i'm in public and looked at because of my size, it is absent also of a queer read. because i'm femme and thus usually invisible as queer, the spectacle that my body becomes is only because of the "excessiveness" of my size and not also a reaction to my gender or my sexuality. this, of course, becomes complicated when i am in the presence of people who are visibly queer and takes on another dimension entirely when that person is clearly romantically linked to me. these are moments that i both cherish and fear because the transgressions are actually palpable. my fatness and my queerness, when they're both noticeable, create opportunities for rethinking love, desire, and sex despite size and despite who i'm fucking. these opportunities for conceiving differently, progressively even, of fat queer bodies, though, is also of course, made possible by the fact that i'm white and that i'm seemingly within a normative economic class. so there's potential here for blowing people's minds a bit, but there's also this overwhelming sense of danger that goes beyond queer bashing and the already serious danger of that. because now what must be taken into consideration is not only hatred of queerness, but also of fatness and the feelings of repulsion that inspires in people, let alone when fat sexuality is being made so open.

this is all to say that yesterday, when i was at a may day festival, surrounded by thousands of people and my friend - a brown, non-American, butch, my former lover - attempted to hold my hand as we made our way through cheese curd stands and kids running haywire with pink and purple paper streamers, i froze for a reason. and not because i didn't want her to take my hand because i feared what holding hands would signify in a relationship that is already complicated by our past as people who once loved a little and fucked a lot. i hesitated because of just how queer - because of the "excess" present in my size, our gender, our intimacy, our difference in skins - we were in a space where things seemed safe enough, but how and when do you really know? it was only two seconds worth of deliberation before i folded my fingers up with hers, but it's another example of thinking about this junction between sexuality and size and how it's real world stuff, daily stuff, that constantly reinspires my academic work on all of this.

2 comments:

Ditto said...

I just stumbled across your blog. I have only read this entry and two others, but I can't wait to see what else you have to say. This entry strikes a deep chord with me. I am not high femme, but definitely present as a femme. I have been out for a little over a year now and am in a serious lesbian relationship. Getting ready to move in with her (this weekend!). i have so many hang ups about my size though. My GF is beautiful, slender, curvy, about a size 2. I wear about a 20. She makes me feel incredibly beautiful and sexy. I feel it in her fingers and see it in her eyes. But I get so paranoid when we are out in public. I just imagine the comments and what people must be thinking. Why would someone like her be with someone like me? It's painful. Then I have to center myself, tighten my grip on her hand and I'm fine again. But it's admittedly very hard for me sometimes. It's a size issue for me, not that we're both girls. Sorry for the novel. Felt good to get this off my back though. I will definitely be reading more of your blog. Thank you!

hussy red said...

sorry it's taken me absolutely forever to respond to this. i was out of town visiting family and had little to no internet access.

i used to feel similarly when i dated people who were smaller than me and then i started to realize that regardless of why people were looking at us, they were going to look and that was it. it could have been my size compared to them, it could have been the masculinity of my partners who were biologically "female," it could have been that we were just that fucking cute. who knows?

what's important is that she makes you feel beautiful and that she's got your back both in and out of public. because in the moment where the stare becomes a comment or a slur, regardless of which one of you its directed at, you need to have each other...and it sounds like you do :)

hope the move went well!