Monday, March 24, 2008

musings on a first date.

so, i went out with e last night and it was a really nice first date. i'm a habitual friends-first dater so, like, everyone who i've been involved with in my entire life, save for one or two exceptions, have been friends first and lovers/girlfriends/boifriends later. this was different. e and i, as detailed by my previous post, met after i posted on craig's list in response to some idiot's posting about "what lesbian equals" and how sick and tired she was of butches and genderqueer folks who "just want[ed] to be men." e wrote me back, complimenting my "defense skills" and then we just struck up conversation and out we went.

again, i mentioned in my earlier post that i had to out myself as fat to him over the phone. this was such a complicated situation for me. again, friends-first, but also, i've never done internet dating..if this can even be considered that. he had seen my myspace profile, but i wasn't exactly sure that my body size was clear from that. so here i am, in this awkward situation, of thinking that i need to tell him because i want to be upfront, but also not put myself in a disappointing or dangerous situation where i show up exactly as he did not expect me. but also, simultaneously trying to figure out how i'm going to convey what is mere fact and not actually a value judgment on myself and my body. like, how do you tell someone you're fat who you don't know whether or not they're in any way fat positive and, at the same time, don't want to make it seem as if you're dissing yourself. lord! what a weird situation to be in.

anyway, e handled it awesomely and so, out we went last night. i have to say, i was struck by how nice it was to have doors opened for me and this consciousness for chivalry on his end. i mean, i've dated a lot of butches and while chivalry has never been dead, so to speak, it hasn't been as well attended to as it was with e. we even had ourselves a good laugh about it when i tried to pay for my drink at one point and he insisted on paying and responded with "know your gender role!" cute. i mean, door opening, meal/drink paying, cigarette lighting, car door opening and closing. i mean, cute.

but yeah, the date was fun. he's interesting and has a great laugh and smile that made me feel comfortable from the start. it was too short, in all honesty. we met up at 9 and i was home by 11:30. mostly, i think, because it was easter night and a lot of places weren't open late, coupled with the fact that i totally would have invited him to see my apt. and meet lula (my cat), if my place wasn't such a disaster from living a spring break lifestyle the past week.

i guess we'll see what happens. i'd like to go out again. he was really sweet and fun and i'm definitely attracted to him. i'll see what comes of it.

also, not for nothing, but serious props to me. #1: i went out on a date with someone i didn't know, who wasn't my friend. awesome. #2: i went out on a date not even a week after deciding to end the destructive hook-up situation i was involved with. eat that.

No comments: